Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Dusk Cosmetics - Review and Swatches

I've been on an indie spending binge lately, and when Jessica - the owner of Dusk Cosmetics  - posted about her site on Reddit, I was drawn in by her colors. They're GORGEOUS. She currently has two collections, one based on Princess Mononoke and one based on Howl's Moving Castle. I'm not a fan of either, but I ordered seven samples anyway! 

I should mention that when I got home yesterday, before I had a chance to open these shadows, I had a new Etsy message from Jessica. She said that her sample sizes (supposedly 1/8 tsp) were inconsistent and she was sending replacements of everything I'd purchased for free. Wow! I haven't received those yet (obviously), but I am severely impressed by her dedication to provide good customer service. I ordered May 29th, she shipped May 30th, and I had my shadows on June 3rd. 


My purchase, plus a free sample
I can't tell if these are inconsistent, and I'm not dedicated enough to go measure them myself. I will say they look just a bit small for a sample but that could be the baggies, me being spoiled by other companies with larger samples, etc. Here's how Sophie looked after I swatched it:

Sophie: Shimmery, cool toned gray with subtle blue sparkles. PERIWINKLE. That was my first thought when I saw this color in the light. Not what I expected from the picture but it's absolutely stunning. If I'm looking for the grey I can see it, but mostly it's blue/purple. One of my favorites!

Kodama: Subtle, ochre tinged bone ivory with cool green chrome and green sparkles. This is another favorite of mine; it's a beautiful pale yellow on my skin.

Howl: Bright dandelion yellow with gold chrome and golden sparkles. Definitely a dandelion yellow! Perfect for bright looks.

Yakul: Toasted orange with golden chrome and gold reflecting sparkles.This was my freebie, and while I wouldn't have chosen it, I like it. It reminds me a lot of Fyrinnae's Pyromantic Erotica, but without the shift.


San: Cool toned red with copper chrome and copper sparkles. I see less 'red' and more 'pink'; it reminds me, somehow, of Femme Fatale's Sunfire, though not a duochrome. 

Markl: Spring green with green chrome and copper sparkles. Definitely a very spring-y green! I like it, but really, I love all greens.

Raven Howl: Deep, inky navy with blue chrome and turquoise sparkles. I would not call this a navy, but I knew that from the swatches. It's more of a cobalt blue and it's absolutely stunning.

Turnip Head: Dark burgundy with red chrome and silver shifting sparkles. Not sure if burgundy is the right word; it's very purple. Very obvious sparkle on this one!

Overall, I'm pleased with the shadows. The standouts, for me, are Sophie, Kodama, and Raven Howl; I will definitely be purchasing a full-size of Kodama. Jessica's customer service also kicks things up a notch for me. I liked Dusk Cosmetics on Facebook, and I look forward to seeing future collections. 

Dusk Cosmetics eyeshadows retail for $1.25 for 1/8 tsp and $5.80 for 1 tsp/2 grams of product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment